Saturday, January 3, 2009

Only oeufs!

When I was younger I hated undercooked eggs with a passion. Seriously. For a while back in elementary school my mom used to pack me these ham sandwiches with runny egg yolks and every single day by lunchtime the egg yolk had burned an acid yellow stain on the sandwich bread. To the younger me, the sandwiches looked tainted, inedible, and somewhat hazardous and I threw them away without thinking twice. It's really a sad story if you think about it and I feel too bad about my ungratefulness to ever tell my mom what became of her carefully constructed sandwiches. In any case, I think that my hatred of runny eggs disappeared the first time that I had eggs benedict and I discovered the joy of breaking a quivering, perfectly poached egg. If I didn't have to get a business degree and you know, succeed in life- I would really just stay in the kitchen all day and poach cartons of those little suckers. Wow I almost forgot what got me started on the egg train of thought...this introduction was supposed to be about croque madames, aka the croque monsieur 2.0. I think the egg adds a burst of gushy unborn chick flavor to the otherwise hum-drum ham and cheese sandwich.

This is where my mom and I stopped for a little break before heading out again. If you look carefully you can see KOREANS in the background hahaha.



I'm not sure why the croque madame came with such mountains of french fries...it looks like a lot of food, right? The scary thing is that it WAS and yet the two of us finished everything down to the last measley spinach leaf.

Melted gruyere cheese, a nicely fried egg with a delightfully runny yolk and warm ham on top of super-crispy bread...I can't complain!

Le Cafe Saint Honore
194 rue Saint-Honore
75001 Paris

1 comment:

tklderrick said...

you hated undercooked eggs?? i hated 계란찜! eck.
haha, nice super long intro!

ah! i got few more of your entries to read! and drool over!