Saturday, March 14, 2009

Spring Break Part I

I can't believe that break has gone by so quickly! I feel like I should be in mourning garb, lamenting the end of our freedom. In any case, I have a ton of fooding photos for all of you, so here they are!

My mom and I went to lunch a couple of days ago at a fairly inexpensive noodle house in Flushing.

I ordered omurice, which turned out to be roughly the size of a football.

My mom ordered jjajangmyun- noodles in brown sauce. Although the picture looks rather unappetizing, I can wholeheartedly vouch for the tastiness of this dish. Don't let it sewage-like appearance deceive you!

My mom made crab eyes with her hands...

And I followed her example...or was it the other way around?

These were bits of rice cake dipped in sugar cooked to a hard caramel stage. Normally, I deeply respect the idea of making do with what one already has - i.e. cooking with the limited ingredients that are available- but I don't think that this principle really applies to restaurants. Why bother to make untasty food that no one wants to eat?

A few days later, Johnny, Sarah, Kelvin and I wandered around Chinatown in search of edibles.

Hello, Chinatown! Looking at this photo, you can understand why I was upset with the pathetic block that passes for a Chinatown in DC, right?

And again. Am I being too bitter?

We made our first stop at Ten Ren for delicious drinks and small bowls of noodles. It was rather nippy outside and the hot milk teas were greatly appreciated.

Sarah studies the brief menu in by the eerily glowing wall.

Hot almond and taro milk teas.

We then made our way across the street to Egg Custard King Cafe, king of egg custards!


The crabby Chinese woman at the counter told me to put my camera away, so I was left with no choice but to take sneaky photos whenever she turned her back. They set out a lovely tray of multicolored egg tarts that I couldn't resist capturing.

Buns at Fay Da Bakery.

Ten Ren Tea Time

79 Mott St
New York, NY 10013
(212) 732-7178

Egg Custard King Cafe

76 Mott St
New York, NY 10013
(212) 226-8208

Fay Da Bakery

327 Canal Street
New York, NY 10013
(212) 219-0778

5 comments:

Sarah said...

YUM YUM YUM! Wow..I actually really like the picture of me you took (without me noticing).You know me...I hate pictures of myself but nice job,Miss Photographer.

eunae jo said...

<3 i love your mommy .
hehe.

Amy Sued said...

the loveliest food blog of all. When I lived in Chinatown I took all the sights for granted but looking at your pictures makes me appreciate it

Emily R. said...

you always do the crab-eyes thing wrong!
when will you learn?

Andrew said...

!! ahh i've been to egg custard king before! my dad loves that place