Saturday, November 21, 2009

My apologies

I like to tell myself that my personal life philosophy is simple...I tell myself that I must always love others and that I must try to stay appreciative of my blessings. The sad truth is that I never seem to act on what I pretend are my principles. Theoretically, I believe in it with all my heart, but realistically, my selfishness always gets in the way of how I want to behave. I pursue what I want without considering how my actions might affect other people… I hold other people to a standard that I myself can never match up to… I make selfish demands for love and friendship that I don’t necessarily deserve.

I think that I am happy most of the time. And really, it doesn’t take a lot to make me happy. Sometimes my happiest moments are based on really trivial things, like finding out the best way to organize my socks/underwear drawer, or having someone rush by on their way to class, only to stop for a little hug, or making doodles of anthropomorphic animals having adventures in the margins of my terrible class notes. My mom always said that I was good at entertaining myself, and I am.

I wish I could be more mature.

It’s not as if guilt just springs out of nowhere…there must be something you did that made a part of you cry out in dissent. Maybe you muted that voice then, and covered it up in excuses and frivolity to try to forget, but it has a way of resurfacing from time to time. Sometimes I have mornings when I wake up a bit too early, and look out the window to find a grey, silent sky… and resting my fingertips on the cold glass, I suddenly get the sense of a drop of rain hitting a well hidden somewhere inside myself.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That was the prettiest thing I've read in a long time.Maybe YOU should be the writer ;)

We all have parts of ourselves we wish we could change.I don't think you're selfish at all.But if I've been learning anything this year,it's that you CAN change (slowly) if you make the effort and work really hard.

The first step is the realization.But the next step is much harder.